ALL SAINTS’ PARISH CHURCH, KINGSDON
Kingsdon has since 1981 been part of the United Benefice of Somerton with Charlton Adam and Charlton Mackrell. There is no resident priest in Kingsdon and the three clergy, consisting of the Priest-in-Charge, the Assistant Priest and the Curate share the work of the four churches along with help from retired clergy living in the area.
Services follow the following pattern:
1st Sunday: A family service at 11:00.
2nd Sunday: 9:30 service alternating between a Communion service and a modern Mattins style service (without communion).
3rd Sunday: Evensong at 18:00.
4th Sunday: Communion at 9:30.
5th Sunday: When there is a 5th Sunday there is a 10:00 Benefice service rotating round the four churches.
There are some additional services on Saints’ days and other Holy Festivals. The times of the services are always shown on the notice-boards in the Church porch and on the gate pillar at the entrance to the Church path, as well as being published in the Kingsdon Chronicle.
Historically, the Church was first mentioned in 1242 and the name of perhaps the first Rector, Adam Hildebrand, is first recorded in 1309. The building is of blue lias stone with hamstone dressings and the earliest part of the church is believed to be the nave which is of 12th century origin. The 70 ft church tower was added at the west end in the 15th century but had originally been built above the north chapel. The pulpit dates from 1627 and the font bowl is of 12th century origin.
Further information can be obtained from the Priest-in-Charge, Rev Alan Symonds (01458 272029) or the Churchwarden Mrs Bel Allan (01935 840878).
More about All Saints’
Click here to download more information about All Saints’ Church.
Click here to download the Memorial Transcriptions.
Click here to download information about Kingsdon War Memorials.